Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mac and Cheese - The Ultimate Comfort Food

This recipe is not an experiment... unless you count my attempts at memorizing more of my favorite recipes. This one is so easy I've done it. No need for the recipe folder anymore with this delicious stand-by. I bring this dish to friends who have recently had babies, mom's who are worn out from checking their daughter's blood sugar all night and are feeling sick, and to my mom's house when she is watching all the kids and has better things to do than cook...

I got this recipe from my friend Teri a long time ago. People rave about it. It's made at least every two weeks around here.

Homemade Mac and Cheese:

3 cups of dry Macaroni noodles
6 TBSP butter
6 TBSP of flour (white or whole wheat)
4 cups of milk
4 cups of shredded cheese... I use a mixture of Mozzarella and Cheddar.
Salt and Pepper

Boil the noodles (I use whole wheat) until soft and drain.



Meanwhile in another pot (or it works really well in a cast iron dutch oven) melt butter.

Stir in flour.

Then add  milk and heat until the mixture thickens up. You will need to stir frequently.

When thickened, remove from the heat and stir in cheese.



Add salt and pepper to taste and stir the sauce into the noodles.

Bake at 350 for 35 min. If you use the dutch oven, just put the whole thing from the range into the oven. It turns out so golden and wonderful.

You can bake it like this with just cheese and noodles, but I will frequently put cut up ham or bacon in there too. It's SO GOOD! Some day I'll add the final picture. It looks so pretty too.

The little people and the big guy always snarf it and I haven't had them rate this, but they would all probably say 9-10.

Rating: 9.5
Carbs: 25 grams per 1 cup cooked

No comments:

Post a Comment