Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Frittata Minus the Eggs?

I needed to use up the rest of the Gruyere cheese and I had all the other ingredients as well. It was looking like we'd have a yummy Frittata for dinner. Only I didn't have all the ingredients. I didn't have any eggs.

I had just researched egg substitutes for the waffles that morning (I used apple sauce). It worked well. But while I was looking up possible substitutions I noticed tofu was on the list of replacements. We don't eat tofu. We aren't vegetarians or vegans... but I did pick up 2 boxes at the store last time I was there to add it to my weird ingredient list.


I served it to the kids. They rated it a 5 or so. I rated it a 7. I made it on a day that Cliff worked late, so when he came home and started to snarf it, I didn't tell him what was in it until his plate was empty. When I told him it was tofu, he said, "Yuck! It's just wrong to eat tofu!" To which I said, "But you liked it." He had to agree and went back for seconds :)


 It's fun learning substitutions. I also learned that you can substitute ground flax seed for eggs in certain dishes. I think I'll start a substitution section too. I tend to need that info a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment